Sunday 4 September 2011

AgentSearch™ Update: Not A No

It occurred to me that I ought to explain why this reading/writing blog of mine appeared without warning. I'm an aspiring writer, you see, and I've no idea if I'm any good or not. But, like most folk that believe stringing thousands of words together at a time is a good idea, I'm stubborn enough to give it a try. I've put together a Young Adult Sci-Fi adventure, revised it, re-revised and around may this year finally got the courage up to seek representation.


I spent a great deal of time researching the ettiquette of preparing a query letter and waited for the best opportunity to submit. I carefully put together my cover letter, synopsis and went through chapter one with a fine-tooth comb. On a plane. While sleep deprived. It was a bad idea, but nontheless, I did it. I was sitting in the common room of a hostel in the middle of London when I pressed 'send', firing my submission off into the ether. The whole process, I was assured, would take about 8-12 weeks. What luck. I just happened to be on a European holiday for exactly 10 weeks.


The holiday flashed by (no, really, it was not long enough), and I returned to Australia.


A few days ago I recieved a response from the agency. And it wasn't 'no'. I was to forward the entire manuscript and, after a decent lag time due to reading backlog, they would get back to me once more.


And that is the best response I've ever recieved from an agent, ever. It's a better response than many first-time authors ever get, which makes me both extremely lucky and extremely grateful. It also means another three months of anxious waiting to be told 'yes, you're good enough' or 'thanks for trying'. I plan to cherish that feeling, for it may never come again.


So from time to time, I'll post a little update here on the AgentSearch™ process.


Who knows? Maybe one day I'll be able to see Crisis Generation: Divide for sale at my local bookstore.


That'd be something.

1 comment: